August 18th Update:
The new September - December 2016 schedule is here - Click here for a pdf copy.
It’s hard to believe that we’re planning our Fall classes when I feel that summer just started.
We have a full schedule of classes ranging from Pizza to Sourdough to Bread 101 and others.
Here are some thoughts about the schedule:
- We’re starting the season of with a bang by doing our Breakfast Breads class. This is one of the busiest classes that we do with three (3) products in one class. We’ll be doing Sourdough English Muffins, Bagels and Scones. You get to make, bake (and boil) and take home several of each.
- Our Wood-fired Oven Intensive, Scheduled for October 7th & 8th, is now FULL. We are now taking reservations for the April 7th & 8th, 2017 Wood-Fired Oven Intensive. If you're think of getting a WFO or if you have one and are looking to get more use out of it, this class is for you. It's a hands-on class limited to 8 people and we cover the full gamut from proper light-off and building the heat to puff pastry for desert. We’ll cover live-fire cooking, fire-roasting vegetables, sautéing chicken, pizza, fire-roasted mussels, then into no-fire baking and roasting with granola, cinnamon rolls, Italian bread, oven roasted vegetables, roast legs of lamb and finish off with a puff pastry based Apple Tart Tatin. It's all about managing the oven so you don't waste your heat.
- October 16th to 18th I’ll be co-teaching a Leavening Workshop in Skowhegan, Maine with a great baker and scientist, Dusty Dowse. It’s being hosted by the Maine Grain Alliance and looks to be a great way to see the effects of various approaches to leavening on the final baked products. For more information go to http://kneadingconference.com/professional-baker-and-farmer/ tab. You can register online with that link or you can contact MGA Program Director, Erin Scally at email@example.com.
- This one is a departure from our normal classes - an evening class on mushrooms and focaccia. We have a local mushroom producer, Mousam Valley Organic Mushrooms, who have some great mushrooms. They’ll be showing the different mushrooms and you’ll have plenty to sample and we (I mean you) will be doing a mushroom focaccia that you’ll take home. The Mousam Valley folks will also bring in some mushrooms for you to take home. The idea to do this class came about early this week and we’re still trying firm up a date. If you’re interested, please let us know and we’ll start a list an will notify you when it’s scheduled.
- Our friend and baker extraordinaire, Ciril Hitz, will be back on November 4th and 5th to do a 2-day class on using some of the great grains that are now available for bakers to play with. The focus of this workshop will be exploring the many ways grains such as spelt, einkorn and others can be integrated into existing formulas to add flavor, nutrition, and texture. Ciril’s classes are a whirlwind of baking and sampling and great fun. HIs classes have a history of filling quickly.
We’re ending this session with two my favorite classes:
- First is Holiday Breads. This one is special for me because the recipe is really my grandmother’s Polish Babka recipe and one that she used to let me help with when I was a kid. My Babci was the one who taught me to bake and this bread brings back great memories.
- Second is Rye Bread. I love rye bread and this is true old world natural leavened rye bread. Learning to handle rye (and rye sourdough) to bring out all the flavor and aroma has been a lifelong journey. You’ll take home a couple of awesome rye breads and will learn to handle a 100% sourdough rye bread.
We look forward to seeing you this Fall.
The holidays are coming and we also have Gift Certificates available. They do not have to be tied to a specific class and they do not expire. So, if you have someone who doesn't need another flannel shirt, tie or sweater, a Gift Certificate to a Stone Turtle class may be just what Santa was looking for. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (207) 459-0567.
We do not have an online reservation system. To reserve your space, email us at email@example.com or call us at (207) 459-0567. See
We want to encourage all to reflect on how fortunate we are to live and work in the United States of America. We hope that each one of you will make an attempt to seek out goods that are really Made in America. The biggest impact that we can have in helping our fellow Americans is to insist that we see and have available more products made HERE - In AMERICA!
For comments from some of our students on our classes please click here.
As our small way of saying thank you, Stone Turtle Baking and Cooking School offers a 10% discount to Active Duty and Retired Military personnel and their dependents.
Wood-fired Oven Intensive Updates
- The October 7th & 8th, 2016 Wood-Fired Oven Intensive is now FULL!
Life has a way of upsetting our best plans and cancellations do happen! If you are interested in this Intensive, please give us a call (207) 459-0567.
The NEXT Wood-fired Intensive is:
April 7th & 8th, 2016 (Friday, Noon – 7 PM & Saturday, 8 AM – 6 PM) -
- From Friday evening’s pizza party to Saturday’s wrap-up you will receive 2 full days of comprehensive instruction on wood-fired oven management. But don’t let the work “intensive” scare you – this class is seriously fun! All meals included, which is only fair since you’ll preparing and cooking them!
Hands-on and strictly limited to 8 students.
Here's some comments from our students at recent Intensives:
I fired the oven with the perimeter burn system...worked very well...much better than fire in the center as I had done before.
Made 4 short handled peels. Loaded in the kitchen then out to oven. Open door and in they went...so much better than one at a time. Also had made a transfer board...that is the best. One screw up...did not remember to steam oven...in the past I have not as it did not make any difference...was not using enough steam....will get it all together next time. After bread we did an Acorn squash and eggplant plus two brats......what a deal!
Thanks again... - Richard M., Springfield, MO
Splendidly wonderful class! Not just about teaching how to use the oven, but a lot of fabulous cooking and baking information. The staff creates a warm friendly, casual atmosphere. The food we cooked and ate was remarkably delicious. I took the pizza class, which was also incredible, but this course really helped me learn more about doughs.
Ann C.. Groton, MA & Kennebunkport, ME
Even though I am just the sous chef at my home, I greatly enjoyed and learned for the course. In addition to great instruction, Michael and Sandy extended great hospitality to all. I greatly appreciate the experience.
Janet T., West Fork, AK
Amazing class! We learned so much and enjoyed ourselves in the process. We liked the combination of hands-on and demonstration to get in as much as possible. The food was fantastic! We're looking forward to experimenting with our masonry oven and most likely a new pizza oven outside.
Pam & Tom M., Strong, ME
Our classes are geared toward adults (18 years old and above). We occasionally open the Pizza Plus class to 15 year olds (when accompanied by a parent or other adult). When we do that will be noted on the schedule. If a class is not posted with "open to 15 year olds when accompanied by an adult" it is an adults only class.
We try to do the administrative stuff ahead of time to limit the impact on class time.
If you want to secure a space in a class, please let us know via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (207-459-0567) to confirm that there is space available and then follow up with a check (or credit/debit card). We will put your name on the class list based on a phone call or email BUT our policy is that a person is registered only when we receive payment. We will hold email and phone registrations for 5 business days to allow for mailing. After 5 days we reserve the right to release the space to other callers.
If you would like to pay via credit card (MC or Visa, Discovery or AmEx), please give us a call and we'll do it by phone.
For the Intensive and Special classes: we require payment in full, or a deposit of 50%, at the time of registration. The balance is due 30 days prior to the class.
Our cancellation policy is:
- *Cancellation Policy* Due to the small nature of our business there are NO refunds. If you find you can’t make it to class please consider gifting it to a friend or relative.
- * NOTE: We try to maintain a wait list and if we have one for a class, as a courtesy, we will reach out to those on the wait list. If we are able to fill a space, we will offer a refund.
Intensive and Special Classes:
- Cancellation at least 30 calendar days before class - gift certificate. NOTE: We try to maintain a wait list and if we have one for a class, as a courtesy, we will reach out to those on the wait list. If we are able to fill a space, we will offer a refund.
- We do not check email on any regular basis and strongly recommend that cancellations close to the cut off be by phone not by email.
If you have any questions please feel free to call us at (207) 459-0567. Thanks.