September 5th Update:
On August 14th we said: Sorry for the delay in posting the schedule. We've been having email and other computer problems which, I hope, are behind us.
On September 5th: Still not running right! However, I think we've made contact with everyone who has signed up for a classs. If not, please call us at (207) 459-0567.
The new September - December schedule is finally here. For a copy click here.
Potential new class:
- We are considering of offering a 2-day Wood-Fired Oven workshop in the March - June session focused on bread production and maximizing the use of the retained heat to do successive bakes without re-firing. We'll go over the pre-bake preparation, matching production to oven conditions, exploring products the have a better return on effort than bread and how to adapt to unexpected changing conditions. If you're interested, please let us know. If there's enough interested we'll schedule it. Contact us at email@example.com or call us at (207) 459-0567.
The holidays are coming and we also have Gift Certificates available. They do not have to be tied to a specific class and they do not expire. So, if you have someone who doesn't need another flannel shirt, tie or sweater, a Gift Certificate to a Stone Turtle class may be just what Santa was looking for. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (207) 459-0567.
We do not have an online reservation system. To reserve your space, email us at email@example.com or call us at (207) 459-0567. See
Here's a comment from someone in our Dec 14th Pizza Plus class:
Thom and I enjoyed our day very much. As far as Tom getting something out of your class, well just meeting you and Sandy was well worth the trip and the storm. You and your wonderful cheery wife do such a great job of clearly demonstrating how easily home bakers can make high quality artisan pizza at home. And I say easily only because you have taken all the bugs out for us. In the past 3 years I have visited more then 40 artisan Pizzerias all over the country and I would put yours in the top 5.
Hope to be back with Tom for oven class sometime in 2014.
Ernie and Thom C., Lititz, PA
We want to encourage all to reflect on how fortunate we are to live and work in the United States of America. We hope that each one of you will make an attempt to seek out goods that are really Made in America. The biggest impact that we can have in helping our fellow Americans is to insist that we see and have available more products made HERE - In AMERICA!
For comments from some of our students on our classes please click here
As our small way of saying thank you, Stone Turtle Baking and Cooking School offers a 10% discount to Military personnel and their dependents.
Wood-fired Oven Intensive Updates
- The October 2nd & 3rd, 2015 Wood-Fired Oven Intensive is now FULL!
Life has a way of upsetting our best plans and cancellations do happen! If you are interested in this Intensive, please give us a call (207) 459-0567.
The NEXT Wood-fired Intensive is:
April 8th & 9th, 2016 (Friday, Noon – 7 PM & Saturday, 8 AM – 6 PM)
- From Friday evening’s pizza party to Saturday’s wrap-up you will receive 2 full days of comprehensive instruction on wood-fired oven management. But don’t let the work “intensive” scare you – this class is seriously fun! All meals included, which is only fair since you’ll preparing and cooking them!
Hands-on and strictly limited to 8 students. We have 4 people currently signed up. That leaves 4 spaces open at this time
Here's some comments from our students at recent Intensives:
I fired the oven with the perimeter burn system...worked very well...much better than fire in the center as I had done before.
Made 4 short handled peels. Loaded in the kitchen then out to oven. Open door and in they went...so much better than one at a time. Also had made a transfer board...that is the best. One screw up...did not remember to steam oven...in the past I have not as it did not make any difference...was not using enough steam....will get it all together next time. After bread we did an Acorn squash and eggplant plus two brats......what a deal!
Thanks again... - Richard M., Springfield, MO
Splendidly wonderful class! Not just about teaching how to use the oven, but a lot of fabulous cooking and baking information. The staff creates a warm friendly, casual atmosphere. The food we cooked and ate was remarkably delicious. I took the pizza class, which was also incredible, but this course really helped me learn more about doughs.
Ann C.. Groton, MA & Kennebunkport, ME
Even though I am just the sous chef at my home, I greatly enjoyed and learned for the course. In addition to great instruction, Michael and Sandy extended great hospitality to all. I greatly appreciate the experience.
Janet T., West Fork, AK
Amazing class! We learned so much and enjoyed ourselves in the process. We liked the combination of hands-on and demonstration to get in as much as possible. The food was fantastic! We're looking forward to experimenting with our masonry oven and most likely a new pizza oven outside.
Pam & Tom M., Strong, ME
Our classes are geared toward adults (18 years old and above). We occasionally open the Pizza Plus class to 15 year olds (when accompanied by a parent or other adult). When we do that will be noted on the schedule. If a class is not posted with "open to 15 year olds when accompanied by an adult" it is an adults only class.
We try to do the administrative stuff ahead of time to limit the impact on class time.
If you want to secure a space in a class, please let us know via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (207-459-0567) to confirm that there is space available and then follow up with a check (or credit/debit card). We will put your name on the class list based on a phone call or email BUT our policy is that a person is registered only when we receive payment. We will hold email and phone registrations for 5 business days to allow for mailing. After 5 days we reserve the right to release the space to other callers.
If you would like to pay via credit card (MC or Visa, Discovery or AmEx), please give us a call and we'll do it by phone.
For the Intensive and Special classes: we require payment in full, or a deposit of 50%, at the time of registration. The balance is due 30 days prior to the class.
Our cancellation policy is:
- *Cancellation Policy* Due to the small nature of our business there are NO refunds. If you find you can’t make it to class please consider gifting it to a friend or relative.
- * NOTE: We try to maintain a wait list and if we have one for a class, as a courtesy, we will reach out to those on the wait list. If we are able to fill a space, we will offer a refund.
Intensive and Special Classes:
- Cancellation at least 30 calendar days before class - gift certificate. NOTE: We try to maintain a wait list and if we have one for a class, as a courtesy, we will reach out to those on the wait list. If we are able to fill a space, we will offer a refund.
- We do not check email on any regular basis and strongly recommend that cancellations close to the cut off be by phone not by email.
If you have any questions please feel free to call us at (207) 459-0567. Thanks.
Please take time today (and every day) to reflect on the significance of 9/11 - Lest We Forget!