November 27th Update:
The New Schedule is here!
The new, January - April 2014, schedule can be seen by clicking here. We have previously posted the information below in and have had some significant response based on word-of-mouth from former students. All classes have openings. We do not have an online reservation system. To reserve your space, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (207) 459-0567. See
The January 11th and April 5th Pizza Plus class have filled! We have scheduled another Pizza Plus class on Saturday, March 15th.
Caitlin Hunter of Appleton Creamery (Appleton, ME) is returning on Friday/Saturday, February 21st and 22nd to do a 2-day Cheese workshop. This will be the third Cheese Workshop for Caitlin and the previous two have been enthusiastically received. As we know more we'll post it here and include it in our next schedule.
Each year Portugal hosts a culinary festival called Rota das Estrelas, The Stars Route, that roams across Portugal from February through November. In each of the selected cities, a local Michelin star chef and invited guest chefs prepare a unique feast featuring their signature dishes. The last of the feasts is the grand finale of the Rota das Estrelas where eight Michelin starred chefs gather to present the true "festival gastronómico." One of our guest instructors, Executive Pastry Chef Mitchell Stamm, has been invited to join in this final gathering to prepare the breads to accompany the eight chef's dishes! Mitch has been working the past few months to develop the breads and presentations to accompany the various culinary preparations.
Mitch has agreed to come back to Stone Turtle on Friday, March 21st, and Saturday, March 22nd, to do a new 2-day class. His class last year was so well received that we'd been talking about other baked goods made from a yeast-leavened dough, or from yeasted puff pastry, but with added ingredients giving them a richer, sweeter character (Vienna bread and Kaiser rolls, croissants (and maybe pain au chocolat) and other goodies generally called Viennoiserie) plus highlighting some of the breads that he's prepared for the Rota das Estrelas. That encompasses a pretty wide range of absolutely delicious pastries and breads and as soon as Mitch returns from Portugal we will come up with a more detailed class outline. Last year, Mitch conducted a highly successful pastry class based on his recently published book The Pastry Chef’s Apprentice. It appears the word-of-mouth has spread the word about his class and abilities because, as of today (11/11/13), we have 2 people signed up for this new class! As we know more we'll post it here and email it to our email list.
- We have opened the January 11th Pizza Plus class up to 15 year old and above when accompanied with a parent. We only do this once or twice a year because the are really geared as and adult learning center. However, there are too few opportunities for older teens who are interested in baking/cooking.
- We brought back our Ciabatta class and Rye class. These are unique breads and are a lot of fun to do and to show off.
- We are also doing a one day Breakfast Breads class. It's packed with activity in making English Muffins, Bagels (the old fashioned way), and Sandy's fabulous Scones.
We want to encourage all to reflect on how fortunate we are to live and work in the United States of America. We hope that each one of you will make an attempt to seek out goods that are really Made in America. The biggest impact that we can have in helping our fellow Americans is to insist that we see and have available more products made HERE - In AMERICA!
For comments from some of our students on our classes please click here
As our small way of saying thank you, Stone Turtle Baking and Cooking School offers a 10% discount to Military personnel and their dependents.
Wood-fired Oven Intensive Updates
- The April 11 & 12, 2014 Wood-Fired Oven Intensive is also Full!
If you are interested in either of this Intensive, I suggest that you get on the wait list for them. Life has a way of upsetting our best plans and cancellations do happen.
The NEXT Wood-fired Intensive is:
October 10 & 11, 2014 (Friday, Noon – 7 PM & Saturday, 8 AM – 6 PM)
- From Friday evening’s pizza party to Saturday’s wrap-up you will receive 2 full days of comprehensive instruction on wood-fired oven management. But don’t let the work “intensive” scare you – this class is seriously fun! All meals included, which is only fair since you’ll preparing and cooking them!
Hands-on and strictly limited to 8 students.
I posted photos of an earlier Intensive on a gallery.
One of the attendees at our April Wood-fired Oven Intensive writes a food blog and did a great write up on the class. Check it out at: www.pizzastalker.blogspot.com.
Here's a comment from one of our students at a recent Intensive:
I fired the oven with the perimeter burn system...worked very well...much better than fire in the center as I had done before.
Made 4 short handled peels. Loaded in the kitchen then out to oven. Open door and in they went...so much better than one at a time. Also had made a transfer board...that is the best. One screw up...did not remember to steam oven...in the past I have not as it did not make any difference...was not using enough steam....will get it all together next time. After bread we did an Acorn squash and eggplant plus two brats......what a deal!
Thanks again... - Richard M., Springfield, MO
We try to do the administrative stuff ahead of time to limit the impact on class time.
If you want to secure a space in a class, please let us know via email (email@example.com) or phone (207-459-0567) to confirm that there is space available and then follow up with a check (or credit/debit card). We will put your name on the class list based on a phone call or email BUT our policy is that a person is registered only when we receive payment. We will hold email and phone registrations for 5 business days to allow for mailing. After 5 days we reserve the right to release the space to other callers.
If you would like to pay via credit card (MC or Visa, Discovery or AmEx), please give us a call and we'll do it by phone.
For the Intensive and Special 2-day classes: we require payment in full, or a deposit of 50%, at the time of registration. The balance is due 30 days prior to the class.
Our cancellation policy is:
- Cancellation at least 7 calendar days before a regular class - Gift Certificate*
- Groups of four (4) or more - Cancellation at least 14 calendar days before a class - Gift Certificate*
- * NOTE: If we are able to fill a space, we will offer a refund.
- We do not check email on any regular basis and strongly recommend that cancellations close to the cut off be by phone not by email.
Intensive and Special 2-day Classes:
- Cancellation at least 30 calendar days before class - gift certificate. Note: If we are able to fill the space we will offer a refund.
If you have any questions please feel free to call us at 207-324-7558 or 207-459-0567. Thanks.
Please take time today (and every day) to reflect on the significance of 9/11 - Lest We Forget!